Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
Biggest After Christmas Frustrations (with a Lesson I Hope I Learned)
Instead of doing a “most popular” post, I decided to tell you about the biggest end of year frustration because that’s been on my mind the most. My main computer died completely the day after Christmas, and I wasted a whole day trying to get it back up, which was fruitless. We finally trotted down to Best Buy to have the Geek Squad take a look. Silly me, I thought the $200+ I paid up front was for fixing it. But it didn’t cover parts. More money to have a new hard drive installed…it turned out to be the most expensive “gift” I got for Christmas.
A new hard drive means all data lost. Guess who doesn’t do back-ups? I know, hanging head in shame. All data lost, including passwords, photos, downloads…everything not in email archives or website…gone. Not possible to retrieve, although if it had been possible…it would have been another $149. Might as well have bought a new computer.
So I was without my computer for 4 days. I didn’t think I was going to survive.
“What else can I do around here to make best use of my time,” I asked myself.
Turns out losing the computer was a cloud with a silver lining because I got caught up on things I’ve procrastinated on for years, such as:
Purging the Attic Room
- Out went 12 gym bags and other assorted bags (why only 2 people have 12 gym bags is a story for another day.)
- I spent another 30 minutes going through every pocket and zipper compartment on all 12 bags looking for the $20 I just knew was there, and found 1¢.
- I found 5 packages of ear protectors, 2 packages of hand warmers, dental floss, Tums, a plastic spoon, and my workout gloves I thought I lost.
- 1 large hanging clothes bag for travel that I’ve never used
- a box of Christmas bows I haven’t touched in years
- my Mom’s old bedside commode…missing the bucket
- carpet remnants
- 2 old pairs of zippered water shoes, which my first husband and I used 30 years ago when we went canoeing or hiking. I’m too old to go wading in creeks.
- old pillows
- my husband’s Desert Storm camo gear, which I’ll try to sell soon
- an old fan frame with no fan…why have I saved this for 40 years??? I’ll tell you why. Because our family had the “save everything” mentality. I’m for ditching it. Watching Mom kill herself in various moves saving things like an old train table when we didn’t have a train, was painful. I want to be rid of the stuff.
Purging Christmas Decorations (and I Still Have Too Much)
- Ornaments I’ve never liked
- My mom’s 60’s era tabletop school-room Christmas tree that wobbled
- The “J” from a Christmas Joy sign for the yard. The “O” and the “Y” died in a storm.
- Several Christmas things I’ll try to sell next year
Purging the Box Room
- The box room where I store boxes for selling on Etsy. It was so bad I thought we had rodents rearranging my boxes, but it seems that every workman who comes always heads for that room. If the boxes are in his way, he evidently gives a mighty shove or kick, and my precious boxes, organized by size, go flying.
- I store Christmas decorations here, and the boxes were shoved so close to them, I could barely get to anything this year. I moved them all to another attic room, which I’ve been wanting to do a couple of years now.
- I purged unsuitable boxes, and rearranged the whole room. You wouldn’t believe the change.
The Last Frustration (and the biggest)
The other huge frustration…I couldn’t login to my website! None of my other devices (old desktop, old laptop, tablet, hubby’s Mac) would work!
- Couldn’t remember the password. It was stored on the old hard drive.
- No problem, right? Just change it. Ha!
- 2-3 more attempts with different passwords…still couldn’t login.
- Must have the user name wrong. Verified that with my designer. It’ll be a snap now!
- Still couldn’t login.
- WordPress blocks too many login attempts. Lost 2 days with that.
- Changed the password again. Said a little prayer and used a different user name, and it worked! Go figure.
I got it back on my birthday and just in time to write this post. Alas, it didn’t stay down long enough because I have more I want to do! Maybe in 2018 I’ll have another crash, and I can get more done! Please, I know I didn’t just say that.
Latest posts by Florence (see all)
- Sweet Inspiration Link Party #110 - June 8, 2018
- The “I Splurged” Vintage Haul - June 3, 2018
- Sweet Inspiration Link Party #109 - June 1, 2018
- 16 Vintage Finds That Turned into Huge Buying Mistakes - May 29, 2018